Looking Sideways: 10 Things
Here are this week's ten things I thought were worth sharing
Thanks for reading Looking Sideways: 10 Things! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
1. If you’ve listened to this week’s episode with Kepa Acero, you’ll be familiar with Kepa’s beguiling take on life, surfing and everything. His latest collaboration with Natxo Gonzalez and Igor Bellido is a great accompaniment to the episode. Watch it above.
2. I was lucky enough to be a guest on two different UK podcasts this last week, which was a lot of fun. First up was The UK Surf Show (above), during which we chatted about life as an extremely average UK surfer, and how I got into ye olde podcast game.
Then I was on the Get After It podcast (above) which as the name suggests is from the hustle culture end of the pod spectrum. Host Nashy had done his homework and asked me a lot of thoughtful questions about my company ACM, and how I ended up with this extremely random job. Click the links above to have a listen.
3. What a week to be British, as the dust settles on the slow-moving car crash that was Boris Johnson’s leadership. The perfect time, then, to read this lengthy investigation in to the very British phenomenon of ‘hun culture’. Foreign readers/listeners: prepare to be very baffled. Click here to read it.
4. Day job alert - earlier in the summer, the entire ACM team headed to London for our bimonthly away-day, where we spent the day being initiated into skateboarding the Neighbourhood way by our own Lyndsay McClaren. It was a brilliantly inclusive day - find out more about the great work Lyndsay is going with Neighbourhood here.
5. I found this Guardian podcast about this year’s crypto crash to be pretty fascinating, especially the bit about how the entire movement relies on ‘dumb money’ investing cash they can’t afford to lose. Sounds like a fair few of my mates, tbh. Listen above.
6. I’ve been listening to this podcast series about the spate of shark attacks on Reunion Island. I’m enjoying it - although the earnest sub-Guy Raz presenting style, and the needless sensationalising of the attacks themselves, in which the sharks are depicted as some kind of nefarious underworld coven, rather than fish that live in the ocean, is a bit jarring. Watch the tease above or listen to the first episode here.
7. Tony Hawk posted this last week, so there’s a chance you’ve already seen it, but I loved One More Try by Najeeb Tarazi. Watch it above.
8. After being captured in Costa Rica after six weeks on the run, Kaitlin Armstrong has been formally charged with the murder of Moriah Wilson. More here.
9. The Gonz, Nora and friends go skateboarding in New York in this worth-ten-minutes-of-your-time adidas short. Watch it above.
10. With the news that the Ben Powell episode is now my most popular episode ever, it seemed like a good moment to share his recent piece on the ‘ideological minefield’ that is spot etiquette in the Instagram age. A must-read, as you might expect; read it here.
Enjoyed this edition of 10 Things? Let me know 👇