Looking Sideways: 10 Things
After a few weeks off my 10 things beat, I’m back with the essentials I thought were worth sharing this week.
1. My latest episode with Chris Moran (below) and James Joiner (above). Two lifer classics, these, with two guest who unapologetically take life on their own terms and have the tales and career paths to prove it.
Listeners have loved Chris’s lovely, ruminative take on life and snowboarding, while James’ classic lifer career arc has also proved particularly inspirational. Click the links to listen. Big thanks to Owen for the typically brilliant Zoom portraits.
Thanks for reading Looking Sideways: 10 Things! Subscribe for free to receive new posts and support my work.
2. For the second year, I’m on the jury at the London Surf Film Festival. And I’m particularly excited about a live q&a I’m hosting on Saturday November 28th with director Lewis Arnold and writer Chris Nelson about their brilliant, challenging new film The Big Sea.
In the words of Demi from the London Surf Film Festival, “…shot over three years in California, Louisiana, UK, Ireland, France, Spain & Australia featuring Belinda Baggs, Noah Lane, Sandy Kerr, Leah Brassy, Patch Wilson and more with insights from the likes of Jamie Brisick, Chad Nelsen, Chris Hines, Amanda Chinchelli and other industry insiders, this independent film is set to shake up and wake up the surf world”.
This is really one not to miss - tickets are available through the London Surf Film Festival website.
3. As well as cramming surf films for the London Surf Film Festival, I’ve been watching as many of the new snow releases as possible as part of my role on the Selection Committee for next year’s Natural Selection. So much good riding, as you might expect, but I really enjoyed It’s Love, the new Vans snow flick. Watch it above.
4. I’ve really enjoyed a couple of articles by my All Conditions Media colleagues recently, especially the above piece on being a mental health first aider by Charlotte TSP, and this piece (below) on winning your dream job by our Head of Creative and Strategy Mark Rosenberg.
5. I’ve spoken about my love for the brilliant Luke Unabomber before, and this interview with him for YMC is great.
6. I also enjoyed this New Statesman article which takes a much-needed sledgehammer to the cult of nostalgia around all things Hacienda and Factory Records.
7. You’ve probably seen it already but Joe Lycett calling out David Beckham for his hypocrisy in taking the Qatar shilling is truly wondrous stuff.
8. I talk often about the importance of supporting print media, so big up the team behind Longboarding Magazine, who are crowdfunding their first issue right now. Click here to support their venture and independent print media in general.
9. Red Bull Skateboarding have been making some ace UK edits; predictably enough I very much enjoyed this look at skating in my hometown of Manchester.
10. I’ll be at this weekend’s forthcoming Kendal Mountain Festival - come say hello if you’re around!
Enjoyed this edition of the newsletter?
PS Not sure if you’ve noticed, but Christmas is round the corner - and our first book Looking Sideways Vol. 1 is still available to order with free shipping globally!
Acclaimed by Carve, Huck, Wavelength, Metro, the Telegraph, Sidetracked Magazine and Whitelines, Looking Sideways Vol. 1 is the tale of Californian action sports culture featuring interviews with the people who helped create it, and influenced the world.
Me and Owen journeyed from Ventura to San Diego with a mission: to understand how Californian board sports culture has shaped the world, and how it continues to inform the global view of California and action sports today.
The trip allowed us to meet and interview the people who have defined and shaped modern surfing, skating and snowboarding. From venerated alpha males like surfer Herbie Fletcher and skater Jamie Thomas, to modern trailblazers such as LGBT surf icon Cori Schumacher, and glass-ceiling smashing skateboarder Cara-Beth Burnside.
Beautifully brought to life throughout by Owen’s unique photography, Looking Sideways Vol. 1 is a visually sumptuous homage and lovingly-compiled tribute to board sports culture and California’s ongoing influence around the world.
Jamie Brisick, Cara-Beth Burnside, Chris Cote, Herbie Fletcher, Nick Hamilton, Colin Kennedy, Taylor Knox, Greg Long, Kevin Naughton, Craig Peterson, Cori Schumacher, Jamie Thomas, Circe Wallace, Rip Zinger.
Jamie Brisick, Chris Cote, Annie Fast, Dibi Fletcher, Lauren Hill, Jeff Johnson, Ed Leigh, Ben Powell, Rob Machado, Keith Malloy, Ben Mondy, Craig Peterson, Todd Richards, Jen Sherowski, Chas Smith, Demi Taylor, Circe Wallace.